Friday, March 30, 2007

Suz, 10N

I know, I know. I haven't been here in MONTHS. What can I say? The winter did me in. I hibernated in my cave. I mourned the months of wearing boots and practical shoes for slogging through slush.

Now here I am - like a bear coming out of her cave (OK, that's not a very flattering analogy) um, let me see. I know! A butterfly coming out of its chrysalis. Yeah, that's it.

So anyway, like a butterfly coming out of its chrysalis as the weather warms, so do beautiful shoes start to appear on the feet of my fellow commuters. A peep toe here, a darling little ballet flat there, and some fierce stilettos being worked down that snow free street with glee. Oh, it does my heart good. It really does.

Woe to the woman clomping down the street in practical shoes! She is the most unfortunate of the unfortunates. She lacks the style gene. She lacks self-awareness. She lacks awareness of the season. She just...lacks.

My shoe of the day (or perhaps month at the rate I've been posting):

Manolo Blahnik Leopard Print D'Orsay Sandal


1 Fabulosas:

Ray said...

Your comment about women who wear "practical" shoes got me thinking about the practical/stylish dichotomy, which I've come to believe is not just false but also harmful.

Style is, in fact, an element of practicality. When people talk about practicality, there's usually an implicit exclusion of style concerns, which I believe is a mistake in the same sense that it's a mistake to exclude shipping costs when comparing online shopping to brick-and-mortar shopping.

The word "practicality" carries with it connotations of careful rational consideration of all costs and benefits. When uglywear advocates appropriate the concept of practicality for their clothes that are utile but hideous, they have deviously weakened the position of sweetwear advocates like ourselves by pitting us against the conventional wisdom that practicality is stronger than other claims because it supersedes them. The result is that unjustifiable fashion decisions are justified on the basis of an epistemologically corrupt notion of practicality.

A truly practical person considers the benefits to be reaped by sacrificing some degree of comfort or paying a higher price to look better.