Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Liesl, 7N

I was sitting at the airport two nights ago when I saw a woman who was wearing bright yellow patent leather peep toe pumps, carrying a bright yellow bag, and she had her hair pulled up in a plastic heart barrette. This woman was probably at least 30, by the way. As I was sitting there staring at her (yes, I know it's rude) I wondered if I had the moral duty to tell her that she was violating so many rules of fashion and taste? She obviously didn't know better and I know how embarrassing it can be to look back on past fashion indiscretions; should I have helped her? Would it have been helping her? The reality is, she would not have taken it in the spirit it was offered and probably would have tried to kick me with her horrid pumps. Ah well.

I still have to wonder, though, if we should help our friends in this way? We were at the airport to meet two lovely ladies, friends of ours, who had a layover. One of these lovely ladies was wearing Crocs. Now you know I had to kid her about those shoes, especially since I was wearing fabulous flats (of course), but I wonder if I should have dashed back to the car and grabbed some better shoes for her to wear? Some people keep spare tires in their trunk, I keep spare shoes. I know she would have felt like a better person if she had been wearing any shoe other than Crocs.

The question remains: where does our moral duty lie? I feel morally obligated to talk Suz into getting the fabulous shoes she has talked herself out of; I feel morally obligated to talk Jen out of the boring shoes she's talked herself into; I feel morally obligated to wear fabulous shoes as a beacon of all that is good in shoeland. Maybe I should also be obligated to comfort and educate the bad shoed masses, too. The world would be a kinder, gentler, prettier place. That settles it! from now on, I will help educate the masses about their poor shoe choices.

Don't be alarmed if you don't hear from me for awhile; heels hurt when they land on your shins but I must soldier on for the good of women everywhere.

Today's favorite shoe:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Emporio Armani

3 Fabulosas:

Ray said...

I'm not sure how closely analogous our situations are, but I've wrestled with a similar quandary regarding jeans. The policy I've adopted is one of simply wearing sweet jeans and waiting for others around me to notice how much sweeter my jeans are than theirs. It's like leadership-by-example, except it's helping-you-not-wear-ugly-clothes-by-example. This way, I avoid alienating people by openly criticizing their fashion sense, but I'm still able to help them, even if it is in a passive-aggressive sort of way.

I've enjoyed considerable success; lots of my friends have asked me to take them shopping for new jeans.

Shoegirls said...

You know, I think you're on to something. I grew up in the time of Jordache jeans, so I've seen some damn bad jeans. I do try to lead by example but I don't know how successful I've been. I also reward people wearing good shoes by telling them their shoes are fabulous.

It's a tough row to hoe.

Anonymous said...

Liesl ~
OMGOSH !!!
I simply ADORE these Armani shoes you have posted ! They, to me, are a timeless classic!
Oh, *sobbing* , if only I could afford such exquisite shoes ! If only I could wear heals again ! If only, I could do so many many things, again.

However, I do so enjoy reading your blogs and things you have posted. Thank you for that, sweet Liesl !!!

*BIG HUGS* ~Angel (Bandit says, "Hello", purrrrrr >^.^< )