Monday, August 21, 2006

Liesl, 7N

People don't "dress" anymore. As I was waiting for my in laws to arrive at the airport the other day I looked around at the shoes of the travelers around me; I saw flip flops and tennies and not much else. I remember when I was a kid and we traveled by plane we would dress for it, as if we were dressing to go to church. I don't know why people used to do this and I think it is a little bit sad that we don't do it anymore.

I understand the need for comfort on a plane, absolutely. However, I miss the days when people always tried to look their best no matter what they were doing. When you saw women out of the house in a house dress you thought they were not right in the head. Men wouldn't think of wearing baseball caps outside of working in the fields, much less to restaurants. Flip flops were for the beach and tennies were for sports, never shoes you would wear for everyday activities.

We've lost some of our gentility in the U.S. (I can't speak for other countries since I haven't traveled internationally in years) We've allowed the caricature of the sloppy American to become our national identity. Again, I fully understand the need for comfort and am just as guilty of these things as everyone else. But, I hope this is a trend that somewhat reverses itself and we all start to "dress" again. I miss it.

Let's blame it all on Crocs.

Toady's favorite shoe:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dior

0 Fabulosas: