Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Liesl, 7N

Several years ago I traveled home to Texas in November for a weekend visit with my mom. As I prepared to leave the house with mom for a party she took one look at my feet and made me change my shoes. Now, I'm a grown woman but I let her have her way and changed from my sandals to shoes she considered more appropriate for November. So, the question I have to ask is, are sandals the new white after labor day conundrum?

Many young girls are instructed by their mother that wearing white after labor day in the United States is an etiquette faux pas. What I wonder now is if wearing sandals in the dead of winter is going to be as accepted as winter white. I think most women know that wearing sandals in a snow storm is foolish but what if the weather is uncharacteristically balmy in February? Is it OK to strap on some strappies and prance down Park Avenue? Is global warming going to change the way we see fashion forever?

I think the true litmus test for sandal wearing should be something like, if your sandals are going to force you to dethaw your piglets when you get inside, then it's probably not a good idea to wear them. Or, if your sandal wearing is going to make you fall due to the ice and or mud, it's probably not a good idea. Of course, when there's ice and mud you wouldn't want to wear your fabulous strappies anyway, would you? In other words, there is a point where suffering for fashion really becomes fashion suffering because of you.

I have to wonder if these sandal wearing women in the dead of winter are trying to fool mother nature into thinking it is time for spring. Look ma! No socks!

Today's Favorite Shoe:
Image hosting by Photobucket
DKNY Shae

0 Fabulosas: