Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Liesl, 7N

A friend recently told me a story about a friend of hers. Apparently this friend of a friend bought what she thought was a Dior purse online. When she the lining ripped a year later she took it to Dior to have it fixed. Their response? We don't fix knock offs. Not only did the friend lay out a couple hundred dollars for a knock off, she was duped into thinking it was real, and she was seriously dissed at Dior. I can't imagine a worse fate.

I'm ok with shoe inspirations. I'm ok with buying a pair of shoes from Target that approximately resemble a pair of Manolos. I do not think it is ok, though, to purchase cheap shoes that have a couture label on them. No, I don't care about sweat shops and child labor or fair trade; that's all immaterial in this issue. I care that the original piece of art is being seriously misrepresented. As if Gucci would indulge in plastics.

The moral of this entry is this: if it smells like a knock off, if it looks like a knock off, it costs less than a mortgage payment, it's not worth your time. You have to pay for true art.

You will never find truly fabulous shoes in a trash bag wielded by an Asian man on Canal street.

Today's favorite shoe:
Photobucket
Hollywould "Gertrud"

0 Fabulosas: