Saturday, May 13, 2006

Liesl, 7N

OK, what is with this new fad of high heeled pumps with long shorts? Really, who decided on this? Is it a joke some designer is playing on all of us? Yeah, the 80s called and they want their fashion don't back.

I loved the 80s; I was a teenager in the 80s and I miss the carefree days of naiveté we all had back then. The 80s were a time of huge shoulder pads, lots and lots of gel in our streaked hair, converse high tops, and primary colors. We had pretensions of being badasses when we listened to the Sex Pistols and pretensions of being sophisticated when we listened to Spandau Ballet. Men in suits singing about love? Yes, please. The thing we also had was the revolutionary idea that models were suddenly super and fashion was accessible to everyone. Who couldn't pair leggings with an oversized shirt and ginormous belt to look like Linda Evangelista out for a night of clubbing? Tunnel, anyone?

Alas, we looked pretty ridiculous in the 80s. I submit, to my shame, some evidence of this ridiculousness. Please excuse the quality of our scanner:

Here I am in a junior prom photo. Notice the hair? The sleeves? This one is particularly shameful for me since I designed the dress:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here I am the next year in what can only be described as the worst thing to happen to flowers since people started dyeing carnations blue:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here I am in college, late 80s. Do you remember when we wore oversized jackets with huge buttons and even huger shoulder pads? Is huger a word? Anyway, I was working that jacket! Do you like the big white buttons?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here I am at a birthday party one year. I can't remember how old I was but do you dig the big hair and big shoulder pads? How about my friend, god love her, wearing Docs and a dress. We were the shit:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

OK, so it wasn't all bad in the 80s. Do you remember wearing the oversized sweater with the short skirt and tights? I had all kinds of funky colors and patterns in tights. I think I even had some argyle tights. Who knew that years later when you aged a bit you could achieve the same pattern on your legs without the help of leg coverings?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ladies, please! leave the 80s where they belong: in bad quality photographs and hazy memories of wanting to live the punk/preppie/new wave life.

Today's favorite shoe:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Claudia Ciuti Ruth

2 Fabulosas:

Jess said...

Those shorts don't even look good on the models. Designers should be ashamed. You, on the other hand, are CUTE.

Shoegirls said...

What are those designers thinking?? My dad always had this theory that most designers secretly hate women and their clothes reflect that. I don't think so, most of the time.

Thanks for your cute comment. :>