Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Liesl, 7N

My very good friend from Los Angeles came to town last weekend; she is marrying a local boy whose family has a lake house and we all went there for Memorial Day weekend. On the way there we stopped over at Shelley's future mother in law's apartment to get a new suitcase for Shelley. Imagine my utter delight when I opened a hall closet in a search for a suitcase and instead found the closet full of Manolos! Needless to mention, Shelley and I got them all out and oohed and aahed over them, making sure not to get any drool on their fabulousness.

Here's the thing: this was a coat closet full of fabulous shoes; imagine this! they were spillover! I didn't open her bedroom closet, though I was dying to, but I assume it was also filled with fabulous shoes. I'm having a hot flash just thinking about it. I need a mint julep. OK anyway... when we got to the lake and told Debbie (future mother in law) that we had found her coat closet shoes she looked at us with a puzzled look on her face. I described exactly where they were and she finally realized which closet we were talking about. She had forgotten about those shoes! It got me to thinking: why is it excess to some and something we covet to others?

I know some people who have several luxury cars, though there are only two people in their family. I have always thought it was complete excess and just ridiculous. But I know that if they had a walk in closet full of $800 shoes I would think it was simply fabulous. Who is to say one is more excessive than the other? We all have something we would collect or buy if we had the money to do it that others would think is silly. My husband would buy Katanas, which seems odd to me. I would buy shoes and art (same thing, right?) which would seem odd to some of my friends. Who am I to judge others for spending their money on the things they find to be fabulous? After all, I've pressed my nose to the Chanel store window more than once; if I could afford to go in and buy? you're damn straight sure I would do it.

Now stop picturing me as a poor waif being chased away from Chanel.

Today's Favorite Shoe:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Manolo Blahnik

2 Fabulosas:

Unknown said...

I love your blog. And the shoe referred here is so stunning and gorgeous. This one will be perfect as new stylish outfit. I think every would prefer the shoes. Really a stunning one. I will love it with my long denim skirt

Braddie G said...

This is such a perfect shoe for me. I like this type of footwear a lot. Etizolam Online