Sunday, April 23, 2006


Suz, 10AA

Cheap Shoes Look Cheap. Sometimes.


Shoes can be expensive. Even if you're not looking to buy a pair of Choos, you can still easily spend upwards of $100 for a decent shoe. Which means the low-budget shoe chains, like Payless and Parade of Shoes are very, very tempting for some people.
I am torn about these stores. I don't shop in them because they don't carry my size. They seem to cater to people with average or wide feet. I do go in on occasion though. I can see why people shop there. They have knock offs of designer styles, for under $30. I think that if you're looking for a really trendy shoe, these stores just might be the place. It's hard to justify paying much more than $30 for a shoe that's only going to be in style this year. I'm not really a trendy shoe girl myself, so this isn't a problem for me.

Yet amongst the trendy shoes, I see some of the most horrific examples of shoe design known to man. Blocky heels, fake leather, plastic. I mean, I guess you get what you pay for. I try to imagine what one would wear these shoes with, and I can't. The mental images of these shoes being worn makes me want to poke my mind's eye out with a sharp stick.

I suppose there is a place for these stores. People need shoes. Not everyone can afford to spend even $50 on a pair. It's hard for me to look down my nose at people who shop there, because I don't know their circumstances.

Beware, however, those of you who think to pass off your cheap knockoffs as the real deal. I'm no fool, and I can spot you a mile away.

Just because your shoe says it's Isaak Mizrahi, honey, doesn't make it designer.

Today's shoe:

'British' by Valentina


2 Fabulosas:

Shoegirls said...

I loooove TJ Maxx. They never seem to have shoes in narrow, though. Who are these women with perfectly proportioned feet??

Shoegirls said...

I know! I love, love, love slides and wear them most of the time. I just hate trying to find ones that fit. I often sacrifice length for fit in shoes. Pathetic, I know.